The good old forgotten Chyawanprash found its way in my kitchen past winters when my mom scolded me for not having it. As a kid, I always took chyawanprash with a glass of milk before going to school.
About Dabur Chyawanprash
Chyawanprash is actually an age old ayurvedic recipe and has been mentioned in Mahabharata where a saint used it to regain his youth.
Dabur Chyawanprash comes in a sturdy plastic container. The container has a wide mouth so that you can put in your spoon to fetch it out. I have never really tried any other brand or flavor of chyawanprash. Dabur has come out with a few flavors like mango and orange. I guess kids would enjoy these flavors more as they might not like the strong taste of the basic chyawanprash (though I always loved it as a kid)
My Experience with Dabur Chyawanprash
Dabur Chyawanprash, looks like a dark colored thick paste and smells of herbs (amla majorly). I agree that it does not look very tempting, but surely tastes wonderful. A little sweet, a little tangy, a bit spicy, it has got several flavors in a spoonful. It derives its strength from the ingredients that help in increasing immunity, stamina, power and youthfulness. It is an anti-oxidant (yes your skin will glow). It is good for your hair, eyes, skin. The benefits are endless actually.
Here is a list of major ingredients along with their benefits that I picked up from Dabur’s website
- Amla :- Amla Fruit is rich in Vitamin C and Pectin. Tannins present in it retard the oxidation of Vitamin C. It is well known fact that pectin decreases Serum Cholesterol in human beings. It inhibits Platelets aggregation and lowers cholesterol levels. It is a tonic useful in Scurvy and Jaundice, prevents Indigestion and controls acidity as well as it’s a natural source of anti-ageing. It is one of the supplements used in hyperacidity and Liver disorders. It stops premature graying or hair-loss encourages nail and hair growth, improves eye-sight, cleanses the mouth, and nourishes the teeth, bones. Cleanses the intestine and regulates blood sugar.
- Ashwagandha :- It modulates body functionality so as to control stress and regulate immunity.
- Pippali :- It helps in cough and other respiratory problems and also strengthens lungs functions.
- Kesar :- It energizes the body and also makes the skin look radiant.
- Guduchi :- It makes us stronger both physically and mentally. It also has astringent properties which rejuvenates our immune system.
- Karkatsringi :- It beneficial for recurrent cough and cold.
- Satavari :- It’s helps to promote general health and increases stamina. It improves intelligence and it very useful in improving eyesight.
- Bala/ Vidarikand :- It helps to fight general weakness and gives strength and stamina.
Quanity: 500 Grams
Shelf Life: 3 years
Price: 142 Rupees
Although, people say that you should eat chyawanprash only in winters because of the ingredients, Dabur claims that you can have it round the year. May be moderation is the key. I took it twice daily in winters and now that the summers are hre in their full glory, I have stopped taking it
I don’t know much about its claim as an immunity builder (I don’t fall sick very often) but I have definitely noticed a difference in my skin and stamina too.
- Good for building immunity and youthfulness
- Acts as an anti-oxidant
- Gives you pretty skin and beautiful hair
- Inexpensive and easily available
- Availlable in orange and mango flavors that kids would love
My Grocery Confessions Verdict for Dabur Chyawanprash
- Rating for Dabur Chyawanprash: 5 on 5
- Would I repurchase Dabur Chyawanprash? Definitely yes, I am never going to let myself run out of it.